What are the important aspects that make IDRF special compared to other charities??
In interviewing Dr. Prakash, when I asked him about the main aspects of IDRF that make it very special compared to other charities, he started answering very modestly.
- He replied that the main reason that made IDRF special is its lowest administrative costs. For several years after its commencement, all the IDRF administrative & management works accomplished at Dr. Prakash’s residence, and many volunteers have provided their kind cooperation in succeeding IDRF, the US Nonprofits Supporting India.
- Dr. Prakash & his wife, Mrs. Sarla Prakash bore all cost of the trip instead of using the IDRF fund during their visits to India for the charity & development work of IDRF. The transparent, ethical, and responsible work approach of IDRF is also one of the reasons for its successful journey since 1988.
During Dr. Prakash and Mrs. Sarla Prakash’s visit to Bihar (now Jharkhand), he they found that sick people were taken to the hospital in a cot because of the lack of ambulance services or transportation facilities in many regions. This incident motivated him them to start a mobile clinic program. IDRF initiated this program with the help of Birsa Seva Prakalp, Hazaribaugh.
- As a result, for the seventh year consecutively, IDRF has become one of the leading US Charities Supporting India, IDRF has earned the Platinum seal of Transparency from GuideStar. From four seals of bronze, silver, gold & platinum, the platinum seal is considered the highest level of recognition given by GuideStar.
- The GuideStar award depicts the transparency and accountability level of an organization. Thus, the transparent and trustworthy work approach of IDRF has made it possible to gain such a prestigious recognition given by GuideStar, the world’s largest source of Nonprofit Information.
- In addition, this US Non-Profit supporting India utilizes the maximum amount of about 95% of donations in charity & development projects through trusted NGOs of the relevant countries.
- The principle of IDRF is very inspiring “IDRF puts power - not charity in the hands of those in need in India, Nepal and Sri Lanka”. In this way, IDRF has earned a reputation as one of the leading Indian Charity Organizations in the USA.
- During Dr. Prakash’s visit to Bihar (now Jharkhand), he found that sick people were taken to the hospital in a cot because of the lack of ambulance services or transportation facilities in many regions. This incident motivated him to start a mobile clinic program. IDRF initiated this program with the help of Birsa Seva Prakalp, Hazaribaugh.
- With the increasing effectiveness of mobile clinics, the Maoists (Naxalites) from the nearby villages approached them to start this service in their villages. As there were threats of violence in those villages, the mobile clinics were not visiting them. The Maoists assured the NGO for their complete safety, and thus, the mobile clinic services also started in their villages. Ultimately, the Maoists became social volunteers in this program. They have transformed themselves into helpful citizens. Thus, such magnificent efforts of IDRF made it possible to transform the lives of many people who were previously associated with violence, and now they are working for humanity.